By Maria Elena Cruz
SAN ANTONIO—As San Antonio braces for the surge of evacuees from Hurricane Harvey the OLLU community is taking it’s own precautions. The administration canceled classes for Saturday, having instructors conduct them entirely online. Friday classes were held as usual, but the impending storm has affected a number of facilities on campus students should be aware about.
A communication sent out Friday afternoon stated the Help Desk will be closed beginning at 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 25 and will be closed through Sunday, Aug. 27. Virtual assistance will be available by submitting a SysAid ticket at the helpdesk.ollusa.edu or by calling 210-431-3908. Also, the bookstore will be closed beginning at 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 25 and will be closed through Sunday, Aug. 27.
The computer lab on the lower level of Providence Hall is now closed and will remain closed until further notice; in addition, Residence Life staff is planning a variety of activities for students who will remain on campus over the weekend.
To prepare for a hurricane, FEMA suggests taking basic preparedness tips:
- Know where to go. If you are ordered to evacuate, know the local hurricane evacuation route(s) to take and have a plan for where you can stay. Contact your local emergency management agency for more information.
- Put together a go-bag: disaster supply kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, first aid supplies, medications, and copies of your critical information if you need to evacuate
- If you are not in an area that is advised to evacuate and you decide to stay in your home, plan for adequate supplies in case you lose power and water for several days and you are not able to leave due to flooding or blocked roads.
- Make a family emergency communication plan.
- Utilize text or email alerting systems for emergency notifications. To find out what alerts are available in your area, search the Internet with your town, city, or county name and the word “alerts.”
The administration will be monitoring the weather throughout the weekend and if additional cancellations or closures are required, updates will be posted at http://www.ollusa.edu/Alert, sent out through email, text and recorded phone calls, and posted to OLLU social media. Below is list of facilities and hours of operation.
The Sister Annie B. Cafeteria will be open for resident students. Hours are:
Friday, Aug. 25 – Until 7 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 26 and Sunday, Aug. 27 – 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
The Market (Formerly C-Store) in Flores Lounge will be open for resident students. Hours are:
Friday, Aug. 25 – Until 10 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 26 and Sunday, Aug. 27 – 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
The University Wellness and Activities Center will be open for resident students. Hours are:
Friday, Aug. 25 – Until 6 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 26 and Sunday, Aug. 27 – Noon-6 p.m.
Students should monitor local TV and radio for weather updates and evacuation safety information.
Storm information and resources:
- National Weather Service – San Antonio: http://www.weather.gov/sanantonio